Friday, May 14, 2010

Hamburger Ministry

Week Four and Five of WISE school. Flying past like a wirlwind.

After a crazy Sunday afternoon, I ran downtown to tell my beggar girls I couldn´t teach them today. Coming to the corner of a busy intersection, I saw a giant pair of legs and a butt sticking out. Some homeless person passed out on the sidewalk.
´Okay,´ I thoguht. ´If this is a dude, I´m not talking to him.´ But as I stepped over the legs, I realized she was a woman.
I dropped to my hands and knees, ´Como te llamas preciosa?´ (What´s your name precious?)
She started mumbing, and held out her dirty hand for money. I took her hand and told her I wanted to TALK with her. Once she finally got the picture, she sat up, geting more excited. I had $20 pesos, so she took me to Burger King down the block. bottle of liquor, wine, plastic bags and everything. She wanted a hamburger. But after running back and forth from the register a few times, I realized Burger King is freaking overpriced. The ONLY thing I could buy for $20 pesos were four pinky sized chiken fries.
So we nibbled on that, talked, she kept offering me her alcohol. Going on about ´eating the bread and drinking the wine´ like what Jesus said about eating and drinking his body at the last super. Crazy excuse to be an alcoholic. But I told her that in eating and drinking Jesus, he wasn´t talking about PHYSICAL things. but being INTIMATE with him. cause he created her, and loves her, and wants her. but it´s a decision. Those words really had her, she didn´t say anything. Just stared with big eyes.
We needed to leave. The beggar girls I knew were staring at us through the window and I had to get back for dinner prep. But before we went our seperate ways I asked if I could pray for her. And as soon as I started, a man walked out of Burger King, didn´t say a word. and handed her a hamburger.

God is freaking awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment